You are here:
The Information Privacy Act 2009 applies to the Queensland public sector. The Act contains privacy principles which set out how agencies may and must handle personal information. Personal information means any information about an identifiable person.
Website privacy and security statement
The Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel (OQPC), as the author of this website, is committed to protecting the privacy of its website users. We understand and appreciate that users of this website are concerned about their privacy and the confidentiality and security of information they provide to us.
As a general rule, we do not collect personal information about you when you visit this website. When you read or download information, our Internet Service Providers record anonymous information only.
This website uses Google Analytics to gather statistical information about the use of the website. This information helps us make improvements to the content and structure of the website. Further details about the information collected by Google Analytics can be found in the section on cookies below.
We may collect personal information that you choose to give us via requests, surveys, comments or email, for example, when you register to participate in a website survey or access copyright information.
Your email address will not be added to a mailing list, nor will we disclose it to third parties without your consent, unless required by law. Email messages may be monitored by our information technology staff for system trouble-shooting and maintenance purposes.
Cookies are text files that a website can transfer to your computer when you access information on that site. Cookies allow websites to recognise you as you browse their website.
The information generated by the cookies about your use of this website will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers located outside Australia. No information that identifies users personally is recorded or provided to Google.
Information gathered using the Google Analytics cookies includes—
- the number of visitors to this website
- how visitors arrive at this website, for example by typing the address directly, following a link from another webpage or by using a search engine
- the number of times each webpage is viewed and for how long
- the time and date of visits to this website
- the geographical location of the visitor to this website
- information about what browser was used to view this website, the operating system of the device and its screen size
- the referring Internet Service Provider
- the speed of the user's internet connection.
Email correspondence, feedback, surveys and information provided in relation to this website may constitute public records and will be retained as required by the Public Records Act 2002 and other relevant legislation.
Use and disclosure
We will use personal information collected via the website only for the purposes for which it was given to us and for related internal management purposes.
We do not share personal information about you with other government agencies, third-party organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies—
- you have given consent
- you expect us to, or we have told you we will share the information
- it is required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody’s life or health
- the disclosure is reasonably necessary for law enforcement, or for the protection of public revenue.
We take strong precautions to protect your data from loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and against other misuse. To this end, the website uses a security certificate (SSL Certificate) to ensure authenticity and encryption of data during transit to and from the website.
Links to other sites
This website contains links to external websites. OQPC is not responsible for the content and privacy practices of external websites. You are advised to review the privacy and security statements of the external websites prior to any interactions.
If you have any queries about our privacy and security practices, please email email@example.com.